Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween Pumpkin Carving

It all started one day when I went out with my office team for a team outing to a farm two years back. Everyone was talking about pumpkin carving, designs and the carving kit etc before the outing. I had no idea what it was. I asked around but still didnot get what it really was, may be I was not very serious about it.
When we reached the farm we split up in different teams and decided on the pattern to carve. We did some carving and the winner was chosen. The farm actually gave away some pumpkins, if anyone wanted it. I brought home two pumpkins to try out carving by myself.
I do not know what got into me but I took it up as a challenge. I immediately went and bought the pattern book along with the carving kit. I do not know when I started carving, probably 10-11 PM, I went on till 2-3 AM. My wife drew the pattern for me on the pumpkin. I didnot know at that point that we can trace the patterns on pumpkins and more over the pumpkin was so small that I anyways could not have traced it. I had selected very intricate patterns.
Next day when I was done carving both the pumpkins I felt really very happy about the result. After that time I have got hooked on to it and I carve pumpkins every year (till now two every year) without even knowing why halloween is celebrated (although I have tried to read about it, but there are different versions of it). In fact this time I got my mother involved in this and she helped me scrape the pumpkin. I feel it is real fun to do pumpkin carving although it could be strenous if the pattern is difficult but fun nevertheless. It gives me a kick when I look at the finished product. I hope to continue this in the coming years with the same enthusiasm. Happy Halloween !!

No comments:

Tags

Followers